Thursday 13 February 2014

Sneaking in to Fashion Week.

Let me tell you a little something about fashion, folks. Fashion is hard. I say that like I’ve faced and conquered it… I have not. I know practically nothing about Fashion Week, but it’s still the most enticing event of the year for me. Whether it’s New York or London, S/S or A/W, I switch from a “well hey! It’s from three seasons ago, but it’s only £4 in the sale so I’m gonna buy it anyway” girl to the “Straight to the ‘New in’ section dahling, no exceptions” fashion follower, almost overnight. It’s quite a sight to behold, let me tell you. And I’m pretty sure my wardrobe has noticed a pattern – my clothes just seem to look sadder whenever Fashion Week comes around.

I take my hat off to the stylish aficionados pounding the pavement all week in their stiletto heels, dicing with death on the streets of New York (newsflash: even Victoria Beckham wears flats now – kick off them heels ladies!) in a bid to hurry themselves along to the next show. I’m pretty sure I’d be the odd ball walking around barefoot, hoping it’d pass off as kitsch and desperately endearing to forego shoes altogether… but would probably ending up looking like some sort of Diana Vickers wannabe. There are literally hundreds of shows to see and digest in such a short space of time. With the music, the models, the set and understanding the overall look of the collection – how much can we really capture?

Sounds pretty stressful, if you ask me. That’s why I’m glad I’m sitting here in the office, spending my lunch hour clicking through endless photos of shows, street style, features and interviews. Glad/bitter – potato potato. But yeah, secretly glad! Can any of those pesky New York show-goers say that they’re catching up on the latest fashion trends while sprawled out on the couch in joggers and a jumper eating nutella out of the jar with a spoon? I thought not. While the likes of me would probably be shunned from the venue, close to the venue that’s close to any of the NYFW shows – I’ve got a seat to every single collection and there’s nothing they can do about it.
Oh contraire, Anna banana. I’m right there next to ya. In fact – I’m almost on your bloomin’ lap! We’re living vicariously through these bloggers and reporters, enjoying an access all areas that we’ve never had before. Between Who What Wear, ManRepeller, The New York Times, Elle, Never Underdressed and numerous Instagram accounts, I can access exclusive content at any time of the day!
 Okay – my work ethic has decreased by about 82% and I’m much more conscious about my thighs – but I now know that after weeks of deliberation, it’s still safe to buy trainers. Because Marc by Marc Jacobs said so.


Are you getting a crash course in Fashion Week?

No comments:

Post a Comment